Sunday, January 20, 2008

9-1-1

Yes, I have, for the first time in my life, called 9-1-1! Last night my precious little Millie choked down a quarter. I saw it in her mouth just when I laid her down to change a diaper. I saw a big silver circle fall to the back of her mouth. I immediately turned her over and said "spit it out!" (She is quite familiar with these words) That's when she made the choking sound. I tried to reach it, I tried hitting on her back, I tried the Heimlich (not only do I not know how to spell it, I really don't know how to do it!) all as I screamed for Jeff to get our neighbor (she used to be a nurse--and I never have been--so it seemed logical at the time!?) while I dialed 9-1-1. Millie wasn't making any noise and I have always heard that's bad...really bad, so I was in full blown panic mode. The conversation went something like this:
"911 how may I help you"

"yes, my 2 year old is choking on a quarter"

"Ok, we will send an ambulance, what is your address"

"5224 Mountain View"

"You said she is 2?

"yes"

"Are you sure it was a quarter?"

"I think so...it all happened so fast...maybe it was a nickle...does that matter?"

"what is your child doing right now"

"well, actually, she seems to be... breathing...?"

"she is breathing?"

"yes, she is. she's just sitting here breathing."

"ok, that's good. (well, now isn't that the understatement of the year!) try to keep her very still. does she seem to be acting normally?"

"she does seem to be acting normal, but I am in a complete panic!"

We continued on the phone for several more minutes (with Jeff back and all of the Sidden Family) while I am wondering how in the world my tiny little 2 year old could physically swallow a quarter---is this possible? and then the EMTs arrived. They checked her out and decided she was fine (breathing normally, vital signs normal and talking) and assured me that I would be getting my quarter back in just a few days. But they said if it would make me feel better we could go to the emergency room and have her x-rayed. They would even take us if we wanted the bill!

We decided to wait and talk to our pediatrician---who also agreed we would see our quarter again soon. Unfortunately I am the one who has to be sure we actually get our deposit back (so to speak). So I am the official poop smoosher--thank goodness for latex gloves. Nothing so far, but I will be sure to keep you all posted on the "out come".


I definitely have never been so scared in my life--although Millie was quite the joke at church this morning, last night it was not remotely funny. I don't know how I would handle it if anything ever happened to one of my precious little babies. I said an little extra prayer of thanksgiving last night. God was with us and we are all a little richer (about .25 cents richer!) for it.

3 comments:

Kay-Lynn said...

I love that girl! So glad that she is ok!

Chloe said...

she definitely loves you too...a little bit more than she loves her own mother! :)

mandy said...

Christian says to not worry, "one quarter of all children will swallow a foreign body at some point in time". .....did you get it? Shhh...He thinks he's funny!


About Me

My photo
I am mommy to 3 wonderful children. I love them so very much! My life is consumed with kid stuff...some good, some not so good...Somehow the good stuff totally outweighs the bad and makes it all worth doing. I have an amazing husband who loves me completely. He multiplies the good and divides the bad. Such a great husband and father. He completes me! kind of a cheesy thing to say, but it is true so there you go! Before kids I was an art teacher. Now have a small home based buisness. I hand paint children's furniture and accessories. It is fun and I love doing it, but since #3 came along my work time is slim. I am still painting, but my customers have to be very patient. Most customers are moms too so that isn't really a problem. I have also been blessed with many friends--near and far. I am so grateful for all of the people God has blessed my life with. Life wouldn't be nearly as much fun with out all my girl friends! They have really been there for me and I hope I have done the same for them. Well that's me...marriage, kids, family, friends.. not so bad huh!?